Section 13: I am a victim of rape/domestic abuse: can I get help?

Official figures show that:

1 in 6 women are raped, while 1 in 4 suffer domestic violence, and 1 in 7 suffer marital rape. Two women every week are murdered by a partner or ex-partner. The Crown Proesecution Office acknowledges that malicious false allegations are minute.[41]

For help in reporting to the police see Women Against Rape’s self-help guide Justice is your right.   If you need to get away urgently contact Women’s Aid to find a refuge place. 

You can apply for an emergency “without notice” non-molestation order – this aims to prevent your current or former partner/spouse from threatening or using violence against you or your child. The order aims to stop any harassing or intimidating behaviour, to protect your health, safety and well-being.[42]

You can also apply for an occupation order. This decides who can live in the family home. It can also mean that your abuser is in breach of the law if they enter the area nearby. Do you feel unsafe living with your partner? Or have you left home because of violence? If either of these are true and you want to return to your property but exclude your abuser you can apply for an occupation order.

You can also ask for a non-molestation injunction order to be made alongside a Child Arrangements Order, which you can do by making an application to court.[43]

If your abuser breaks the orders. they will be committing a criminal offence and you can get the police involved and have them arrested.  It can be useful to have police evidence backing your claim. But if you don’t want to call the police, you can take your abuser back to the civil court for breaking the order.

%d bloggers like this: