9: Care Proceedings: how do I defend myself and my child/ren?

If the Local Authority decides to take you to court under care proceedings, the court must complete its hearings within 26 weeks from the day that the application was issued. Cases often take longer than this, but time scales are supposed to be adhered to. 

You are entitled to a lawyer as soon as you find out you are being taken to court and you should contact one urgently. Try to find a solicitor who works for a specialist family law team or firm, rather than go to a High Street firm where the solicitors are much less likely to specialise in family law.

%d bloggers like this: